Saturday, 15 November 2008

Registering to live and work in Sweden

My first days in Stockholm

We landed at Stockholm Arlanda airport on a summer evening. The first thing I noticed was how quiet Arlanda airport lounge compared to busy London Heathrow terminal 3. We headed for Arlanda express, a fast 15 minute service to Stockholm central station. The summer price package is two adult tickets for the price of one and the children under 17 travel free. So four of us paid the price of one ticket 240 SEK and got on the train to Stockholm. The other ways to get to Stockholm centre from Arlanda airport are Stockholm fixed price taxi (around 440 SEK), price displayed on the Taxi so you don't need to pay anything more. The Taxis are large and good for four people with luggage. The other choice is by Flygbussarna, a coach service costing around 120 SEK per person.

The hotel at Alvik overlooking the waters of Stockholm was ideal. The view across Tranberg strand into Stockholm skyline is breath taking. Next morning, I walked to Alvik Torg to have a look around. Need to open a bank account so walked into FöreningsSparbanken (now Swedbank) to open an account. But no you can not open an account unless you have the Swedish Personal Number. Never mind, I walked onto Handelsbanken, the next bank only two doors away. The woman from Handelsbanken was totally different. I needed to show her my passport, my bank details from England and she opened a current account for me. Advised me to get the Swedish Personal Number and told me the names of the good schools for my children.

Registering to live and work in Sweden

Nordic citizens need no permit or special registration to live and work in Sweden. EU/EEA citizens can freely reside in Sweden for up to three months and may start working prior to registration with the Swedish Migration Board. Work permits are not required. Those wishing to stay longer than three months in Sweden must apply to register their right of residence. A residence certificate is issued to those who are employees, self-employed, service providers, students and those with sufficient funds to support themselves. Residence certificates will also be issued to family members who are EU/EEA citizens. Family members who are not EU/EEA citizens apply for a residence card. Family members who require a visa to enter Sweden must apply for a residence card before coming to Sweden.

In some cases, family members do not have right of residence. In such cases, if intending to stay longer than three months, you must apply for a residence permit under Swedish law. As an EU/EEA citizen you can submit an application after entering Sweden.

All applications for residence certificates, cards and permits must be received by the Swedish Migration Board no later than three months after entering the country.

Non-EU citizens who have acquired the status of long-term resident in another EU Member State, and citizens of Switzerland, have similar rights to EU/EEA citizens. Those wishing to remain longer than three months in Sweden must apply for a residence permit within this period.

Citizens from non-EU/EEA countries other than those mentioned above must apply for work and residence permits before entering the country. New regulations regarding work permits will come into force as from December 15th 2008. Check for more details.
University students from non EU/EEA countries who have a residence permit may work in Sweden as long as the residence permit is valid. The permit must be stamped in your passport before entering the country.

For application forms and more information in several languages, see the Swedish Migration Board website at .

Registering at the Tax Office

If you intend to stay in Sweden, you must register in person at the local Tax Office. There you will be issued with a civic identity number. Those who intend staying one year or more will be issued with a personal identity number (personnummer). This process is called folkbokföring. If you will be working but staying less than a year, you will be issued with a co-ordination number (samordningsnummer). The personnummer is necessary for all kinds of transactions and access to service in society. The samordningsnummer serves the same function but not always to the same extent. More information at under the heading “Folkbokföring”. This site also contains addresses and contact details for local offices. Reference [1]

1 comment:

  1. my dear friend thanks for helping us and for giving a good information, but i still have a question and im confuse,
    im not from europe i just have a Danish student resident permit, and my wife is from poland so could u tell me (am i elegiable to apply for a permanent residence card with my wife in sweden on my present status, or should i apply a swedish visa first) plz tell me about that, i shall be very much thankful to u. email.